Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day 2: Newhalem, WA to Twisp, WA

Can only update day two tonight, more tomorrow.


First up, 30-40 miles uphill to 5477 ft.

The real trick about this is that we probably actually climbed close to 10,000ft. Why you ask? Because we started at 500ft and then the Cascades would take us up a few hundred or 1,000ft...and then we'd drop back down.

Then back up...

And back down...

Maybe once or twice more.

But we had this to look at.







Then it was the long haul up to the first summit of 4,800ft that is Rainy Pass.

Guess what happened next? Yep! We dropped back down at least a thousand feet and then made the last 2-4 miles up hill to Washington pass at 5,477.



Surprisingly we all felt good this day. It was a long, slow gradual climb, but a climb nonetheless.

But the beauty of the ride is by far the scenery. 

The only way I can describe it is as God's Country.

Coming from Utah I forgot that I live in a desert until this day. Waterfalls, trees, trees, trees, and lakes and rivers. So green.

Now I didn't have my phone constantly on me that day, but Matt and my Dad took a lot of pictures and they still haven't sent them to me, but we're kinda rushed and lax at night.

I wonder why!? Hmmmmm....

Best Nature Roller Coaster Ever!


Ever been on Matterhorn at Disneyland? Now, have you been on a screamin' roller coaster? Good! Well, combine those two and you have the 18 mile, straight downhill glide that was the glory of climbing that freaking mountain.

It is a steep grade. At least nine or ten percent.

Now some science: The heavier you are the faster you go downhill. I'm the heaviest guy on this trip so I flew down first.

Click here to know how we felt going down.

I even got a few trophies (some of you may have seen this before)

Winthrop to Twisp

After the down hill easy, we had to get back to reality and actually pedal.

We made our way 10 miles to Winthrop, WA where an annual Rhythm and Blues festival was happening. What was shocking was all the nice cars in town.

There were at least five Ferrari's, a Lambo, Aston Martin, etc.

Kev, the ever fearless leader (Oh Captain! My Captain!) just walked up the the Lambo and started chattin' with the guy.

He said the guy first said, "I moved out of the way for ya!" on the defense. There was no need for him to be. Actually, surprisingly enough the drivers have been very courteous about our space. We have been mindful too, but it has definitely been a huge help.

Back to the fancy pants people. Found out they are out here testing their cars and coming to the festival. They were from Vancouver, B.C.

After a long, uphill, and all-around tough day, we made the last eight miles into Twisp, WA. Where we hoped to rest.

Unfortunately, all of the inns in town were full; so we backtracked to Winthrop and did what we did on day 1, drive to the start.

Guest Starring...

The one, and only Steve Carlston came out with my Dad's old Mission Counselor, President Glenn Whittle, to meet us in 
Brewster to enjoy some Mexican.



Now, that may have not been the best choice of meal for this trip, BUT, Brewster is a town that seems to be a transplanted piece of Mexico. So the food is as real as possible. I almost felt impolite asking, ordering, and thanking in English. So I did what I did in Europe, adopt the language :)

We headed back to the hotel to hit the sack for the day that was ahead.

I'll be writing that and, hopefully, all the other days tomorrow.

Once again, please feel free to comment or message me what you would like to hear more about.

Thank you so much for the prayers, support, and encouragement that I have both heard and not heard about! Every ounce is valued greatly!
And thank you for the patience with the blog.

-Jordo

P.S. Here, again, is Big Kev's goatee  Any Ludlow kid would tell you we have wanted him to grow facial hair for sometime. So I'm just getting big dreams and wishes fulfilled on the trip. (I know Kace loves this pic too. I SEE YOU KACE!)




  





1 comment:

  1. I love the commentary, Keep it coming!! It is really beautiful and I sometimes miss it, but then I remember the rain. Glad to see you are all in good spirits and having a experience of a life time!! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete