Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Very Grand Finale

A Dream's End, A New Outlook

An update has not been done because I have been thinking of how to close this marvelous journey.

End this great story.

Those of you who have kept up know how I have written this blog, and how I am as a person.

I am a jokester, and a pretty goofy guy.

I like to think I'm fun and happy.

I am also someone who has had many experiences in life that have ranged from being well acquainted with true grief to experiencing some of the sweetest joys in life.

And I know I will have more of the good to come.

What I am trying to say is that this post will not be like the others.

This ride started over two years ago when my Dad and I heard that my Uncle, Ed, and my cousins Matt (who came with us) and Christian Lyman would be doing the ride again.

Ever since that we have put it in our short list of a bucket list of what we desire to accomplish.

We started getting to it in October 2012 when we decided that this summer was our last chance.

I would graduate and move more and more into adulthood, so we both knew this would be it.

If we delayed beyond that, my Dad may not be able to accompany due to age.

In October we purchased an atlas the country at Walmart in Kimball Junction, near Park City.

So the journey began there. 

And we both knew it.

This journey has been filled with challenges that can tax even the strongest of persons, mentally, physically, and at times, emotionally.

I would easily compare it with my mission for the difficulty.

While you are on your bike for six to eight hours a day, spending close to twelve hours everyday just trying to make it a hundred miles plus or so to the next town, you have a lot of time to think.

And this would be the cycle for the next 29 days of my life.

I have come to believe that I cherish two things in this world; honesty and heartfelt love for others.

Everyday on the ride we were met with challenge. Kevin would say, "Everyday it seems we have had a new challenge."

It is so very true.

And for the last 11 years my family has had a multitude of challenges.

In 2002 we lost a daughter, a friend, and a sister.

A year later we picked up and moved to Spokane, Washington for my Dad to be a mission president for three years. Which is easily in the top five for most challenging callings in the church.

I was ripped from the only home I knew and unable to attend the high school where both my sisters went to, and where Ludlow has value.

I left friends behind that cannot be replaced, and a life that was built from the time I was born.

Our family was separated. My oldest sister, Kacey, was to stay in Utah to work and finish school; while my Mom, Dad, and myself were in Spokane.

Once that was over in 2006 I left for my mission of two years in 2007 to Louisiana.

That is the hard truth.

Now let me give you the hard facts between the lines.

During our time in Spokane I came to know new people that would change my life forever.

I made friends who I still keep in contact with from there. These are lifelong friends I would not have met otherwise.

Spokane became a second home.

I was able to visit Utah during the summer and keep up with all of my friends there, and even made new lifelong friends in between.

My Dad came back from Spokane and started a new hotel venture, and a new aspect of his business that has blessed our lives.

During my mission my sister met, dated, and (once I was home) married a man who is the brother I always wanted.

In 2012, while I was able to live in London with some of the greatest people that I consider good friends, a new member of our family was born, Jane Jara Anderson. Who has been nothing but joy to our family.

It is like my Mom has always said, and does say, "We have said enough goodbyes. We want nothing but hellos and welcomes."

And now in 2013 I was able to accomplish, with my Father, an experience and challenge that very few have ever done or even think of doing.

Throughout these last 11 years my family and I have lost most dear, and have gained most dear.

In every aspect of those years there have been people.

Friends, family, loved ones, acquaintances, good strangers who have all helped in some way.

And on this trip we have met and seen people.

I could not even begin to name everyone, but I believe you know who you are.

So I honestly want to say to everyone at the end of the grand adventure: Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You do not go unseen. Your support, love, prayers, and anything you have given us is noted in someway.

So I honestly want to say to you that I love you.

You are all excellent and great people.

Pat yourself on the back and give yourself more credit than you think you deserve.

If I could, I would do it all for you.

I want everyone to know that no matter how dark things can seem, and it is very easy in this day to see the dark, that there is such great light.

It can be found in most people we come in contact with if you only but try to see it, and be light yourself.

And do not think on your own weakness.

You never know what you can accomplish.




There is a story of our last two days. And a lot of you were able to see it as I posted it.

I say that now the important thing is, is that we did it.

We made it to Boston! We didn't bust, and we dipped our tires in the Atlantic Ocean.

More importantly I say again that I love you, my dear friends, dear family, and dear loved ones.

I would hug you all with my gorilla long arms if I could.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We made it with you!

And now I hope you honestly know me a bit better.

Boston! No bust.

Enjoy yourself.

-Jordo




2 comments:

  1. Jordan your comments this morning have touched my heart and yes I have gotten to know and appreciate you better. Your family has made an indelible mark on my life that I will forever be grateful for. Your heartfelt comments truly show the man you have become through your trials and triumphs. The opportunity this trip has given you for honest and true reflection of yourself is a great gift which it appears from your writing that you have beautiful eyes to the fullest. The Lord has honed and prepared you for great things. You are now beginning a new stage in this journey called life. you will always have a special place in my heart and I can truly say I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan,
    thanks so much for writing this great blog and record of a lifetime epic adventure. Your dad and I have been friends since high school and I have admired him and your family from afar for many years now. Thanks for your thoughts, feelings, insights, and inspiration! good luck and may God bless you and your family in your next epic adventure-called life.

    sincerely,
    stan ricks

    ReplyDelete